Saturday, April 7, 2012

American Hero Dog Awards

OK Iris my service dog that was freely given to me by America's VetDog's and the Guide Dog Foundation, is in the running for the Hero Dog Award in the service dog category. This may not sound like a big deal but the award is something that the American Humane Association is doing and will give more recognition to America's VetDog's and the Guide Dog Foundation. Now that I have had Iris there is no way I could ever repay them for what they have done for me so I am making it my own private cause to push awareness and help raise money so other veterans can experience the joy I have found.

So here are a few things I am planning on tacking over the next few months. I have already spoken to a few of the staff and teachers at QVCC a local community college in Danielson, CT about running a 3rd party fundraiser. I am hoping to expand that to include other CC in CT and RI. (I live on the boarder of CT/RI and spend a few days a week in RI at the VA Hospital.)  I also hope to contact the local TV and Radio stations in hopes of getting the word out not only the Hero Dog Contest but VetDogs and The Guidedog Foundation. So if anyone is reading this and has points of contacts the referral would be great.

My Sister works at Yale in New Haven and sits on a number of boards. We talked a few days ago about getting Yale involved in some form of sponsorship also. I will be looking into getting the Foundations public relations involved in guiding my sister and myself in how to best make this work.

Now for everyone out there please pass on to all your friends this link to get Iris votes http://bit.ly/HfRO8O I am not able to track every vote but I do know from some of the emails I have gotten from friends I have never met before now that the words has gotten out to at least 20 states. I would love to be able to say that we have voters from all 50 states voting everyday. If anyone has other ideas they would like to get into the mix I promise I'll do my part to get it moving along. Iris and I will travel anywhere to help the foundation (VetDogs/Guidedog) just let us know.

Thank you all for reading and please pass the link (http://bit.ly/HfRO8O) and my email address out and together we can help raise money and awareness to the life changing qualities of a service dog for a veteran.

No comments:

Post a Comment